Re: networking

Mike Viau wrote:
> Would executing '/etc/init.d/networking stop' followed by
> '/etc/init.d/networking start' work to restart networking when using only
> the new way ('allow-hotplug')?

Without 'auto' calling /etc/init.d/networking will bring the interface
down.  But it won't bring the interface up.  With 'auto' there then it
will bring the interface up.  I just verified that now with a quick
test on a Lenny and Squeeze machine.  And you definitely want to keep
'allow-hotplug' there so that link status events will trigger
configuration too.

> I understand ifup/down can also be used, but what would t look like? I
> have only used ifconfig to bring interface either up or down.

Call it with the network device name.

  $ sudo ifdown eth0

  $ sudo ifup eth0

Bob