Re: Sun Java upgrade to 1.6.0_23 ?

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 09:53:02 -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 20:06 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Yep... I hope the installer is still as easy as it was last time I
>> checked (I juts followed the on site install guide).
>

> Well, tried this but was Very unsure about using update-alternatives, so
> I figured out the structure of Debian's install and replaced the 22
> version with 23.  I did this by
>
> * moving the entire jre_23 installed directory (not the correct name)
> into the /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22 directory,
>
> * renaming the original /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre directory
> to something new,
>
> * renaming the jre_23 subdirectory
> to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre
>
> I think this effectively sidestepped things.  'java -version' now
> reports java version "1.6.0_23"

To test everything is okay, go here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1

That will tell you which Java version is detected in your browser.

> Haven't done this yet.  Did install virtualbox, but my time is minimal
> right now, so haven't tried to learn its usage yet.

As you have been brave enough to install the latest JRE version from
Oracle site, now there is no need to have a VM for doing this :-)

>> I just downloaded the full program and run "jmol" shell script, it
>> opens the program and I can open a jar file... do you want me to take
>> any concrete test? :-?
>

> The local version works fine.  The applet version is the point where the
> menu issues appear.
>
> You are saying that you have no problems on that web page using the menu
> called up by a RMB on the screen?

No problem... well, I think it is working as expected, I can manipulate
the atom structure, zoom-in/out, change colors, show/hide layers... see
the attached image:

http://picpaste.com/java2-N3ZAFfGP.png

Greetings,

--