Re: Sun Java upgrade to 1.6.0_23 ?

I still run into the menu issues with 1.6.0_23, it seems.  I'm assuming
what I describe below worked effectively.

:((

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 20:06 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:16:14 -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 12:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> Last time I installed (you don't "update" java but "install" a new
> >> release) Java JRE from Oracle's site was a straight forward step. After
> >> that, you can run "update-alternatives" to select the default java to
> >> be used.
> >

> > This is using Oracle's installer with defaults??
>
> Yep... I hope the installer is still as easy as it was last time I
> checked (I juts followed the on site install guide).

Well, tried this but was Very unsure about using update-alternatives, so
I figured out the structure of Debian's install and replaced the 22
version with 23.  I did this by

* moving the entire jre_23 installed directory (not the correct name)
into the /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22 directory,

* renaming the original /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre directory
to something new,

* renaming the jre_23 subdirectory
to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre

I think this effectively sidestepped things.  'java -version' now
reports java version "1.6.0_23"

> >> If in doubt, try first installing within a VM and see how it goes...

Haven't done this yet.  Did install virtualbox, but my time is minimal
right now, so haven't tried to learn its usage yet.

> >> BTW, I can run this sample just fine (using JRE 6 update 22):
> >>
> >> http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/atoms/
> >

> > For me this fails.  The demo works with the buttons on the page, but
> > RMB-ing on the applet screen itself fails to call up Jmol's menus.  No
> > clue as to the difference between yours and my installation.
>
> Oh, yes, it's just the applet what I tested not the whole jmol.
>
> (...)
>
> I just downloaded the full program and run "jmol" shell script, it opens
> the program and I can open a jar file... do you want me to take any
> concrete test? :-?

The local version works fine.  The applet version is the point where the
menu issues appear.

You are saying that you have no problems on that web page using the menu
called up by a RMB on the screen?

> Hum... are you sure you are using Sun's java and not openjdk? You can
> check it with this command:
>
> ***
> stt008:~# update-alternatives --display java
> java - status is manual.
>  link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java <<--
> /usr/bin/gij-4.3 - priority 43
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java - priority 1042
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java - priority 63
>  slave java.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/man/man1/java.1.gz
> Current `best' version is /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java.
> ***

This is the process I went through, and all java links are now sun's.

Kenward
--
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.   Albert Einstein