Re: Sun Java upgrade to 1.6.0_23 ?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:16:14 -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 12:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Last time I installed (you don't "update" java but "install" a new
>> release) Java JRE from Oracle's site was a straight forward step. After
>> that, you can run "update-alternatives" to select the default java to
>> be used.
>

> This is using Oracle's installer with defaults??

Yep... I hope the installer is still as easy as it was last time I
checked (I juts followed the on site install guide).

>> If in doubt, try first installing within a VM and see how it goes...
>

> I'll look this up...  I've never tried using a virtual machine
> (chroot??) to test things (though certainly should have, to be a True
> Debian-ite ;).  It would have saved my butt several times over the past
> years...

For software testing I prefer using a stand-alone VM program like
Virtualbox, very easy to keep and maintain and hard to mess with the host
computer ;-)

>> Or you can wait until it is available in Sid :-?
>>
>> > I'm drawn to that build, as it apparently works with Jmol as reported
>> > by someone else in the Jmol group.
>>
>> BTW, I can run this sample just fine (using JRE 6 update 22):
>>
>> http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/atoms/
>

> For me this fails.  The demo works with the buttons on the page, but
> RMB-ing on the applet screen itself fails to call up Jmol's menus.  No
> clue as to the difference between yours and my installation.

Oh, yes, it's just the applet what I tested not the whole jmol.

(...)

I just downloaded the full program and run "jmol" shell script, it opens
the program and I can open a jar file... do you want me to take any
concrete test? :-?

> I went through all of the java alternatives and updated them to Sun's
> version instead of the openjdk version, but that made no difference.  I
> don't know why openjdk is chosen for me when I deliberately install Sun.
>  :-/

Openjdk is the default java in Debian, you have to install Sun's JRE (and
plugin) packages and update the system preferences to use the Sun's java
in order to get it working.

Hum... are you sure you are using Sun's java and not openjdk? You can
check it with this command:

***
stt008:~# update-alternatives --display java
java - status is manual.
 link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java <<--
/usr/bin/gij-4.3 - priority 43
/usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java - priority 1042
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java - priority 63
 slave java.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/man/man1/java.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java.
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón