Re: Sun Java upgrade to 1.6.0_23 ?

On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 12:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 01:04:40 -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> > 1.6.0_23 is available on Sun's site, but I don't believe the upgrade is
> > simple from what I've read.  Is there a way to do this directly w/o
> > waiting for the next packaging round?
>
> Last time I installed (you don't "update" java but "install" a new
> release) Java JRE from Oracle's site was a straight forward step. After
> that, you can run "update-alternatives" to select the default java to be
> used.

This is using Oracle's installer with defaults??

> If in doubt, try first installing within a VM and see how it goes...

I'll look this up...  I've never tried using a virtual machine
(chroot??) to test things (though certainly should have, to be a True
Debian-ite ;).  It would have saved my butt several times over the past
years...

> Or you can wait until it is available in Sid :-?
>
> > I'm drawn to that build, as it apparently works with Jmol as reported by
> > someone else in the Jmol group.
>
> BTW, I can run this sample just fine (using JRE 6 update 22):
>
> http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/atoms/

For me this fails.  The demo works with the buttons on the page, but
RMB-ing on the applet screen itself fails to call up Jmol's menus.  No
clue as to the difference between yours and my installation.

I went through all of the java alternatives and updated them to Sun's
version instead of the openjdk version, but that made no difference.  I
don't know why openjdk is chosen for me when I deliberately install
Sun.  :-/

Thanks for your input!

Kenward
--
"Man does not cease to play because he grows old...
    Man grows old because he ceases to play."

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '...Oh,
WOW !! ...what a ride...' "