Re: xserver-testing issues.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:56:35 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> As you are using the same kernel and xorg packages than squeeze, you
>> now have to play the same way squeeze does (or at least that seems to
>> be the most logical approach). Squeeze does not need to use a
>> "/etc/X11/ xorg.conf" file at all, neither for managing the keyboard
>> settings nor for display: nowadays all this stuff has to be
>> automatically configured and setup by Xorg.
>
> Oh! It is awesome! - I have removed the conf file and now not only my
> keyboard works perfectly, but 3D acceleration has become much more
> faster! - So, it was a very good idea to use not my X conf. But! - as I
> have two monitors - it suggests the lower resolution - that is latter is
> not used at all (I prefer a bigger one. :) What to do here?
>
> Oh! 2 of 3 problems have solved!

Hey, that's good! :-)

As per display resolution... let's see what can be done. In brief: you
are using the radeon driver and have 2 monitors attached to the card.
With no "xorg.conf" your system is happier but your display uses a lower
resolution, okay... I need additional clarification in some points:

- What is the setup you want? Dual screen in clone mode or xinerama mode?
Only one screen enabled and the other disabled (off)?

- What says your "/var/log/xorg.0.log" now? I mean "complete", you can
upload the full log to any pastebin site.

I also recommend reading this Debian wiki page:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

>> > Changing to
>> >
>> > pcm.!default:SB
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > pcm.!default:Intel
>> >
>> > gave me:
>> > /
>> > ALSA lib conf.c:1661:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:12:14:Unexpected
>> > char ALSA lib
>> > conf.c:3441:(snd_config_hook_load) /home/rock/.asoundrc may be old or
>> > corrupted: consider to remove or fix it ALSA lib
>> > conf.c:3302:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load
>> > returned error: Invalid argument ALSA lib
>> > conf.c:3687:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing
>> > configuration cannot open mixer: Invalid argument
>
>> Then remove that file and let's try another thing. What gives you "cat
>> / proc/asound/modules"?
>
>  0 snd_pcsp
>  1 snd_hda_intel

Good... let's go with another approach for setting up the first sound
device. Run "cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf | grep options" and put
here the output.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón