Re: xserver-testing issues.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:42:05 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

(...)

>> Now in the form:
>>
>> #keyboard.conf
>> XKBMODEL="pc105"
>> XKBLAYOUT="us,de"
>> XKBVARIANT="winkeys"
>> XKBOPTIONS="grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
>>
>> Don't forget to remove (or comment #) the old settings from your
>> "xorg.conf" so they don't collide.
>
> I use only several packages from testing - some of: xserver, alsa,
> kernel - all in attempt to solve my sound/keyboard/3D -problems.

The mix of those packages (mostly "kernel" and "xserver" packages) can be
also the cause of unexpected problems.

> Still keyboard does not work correctly - mainly,
> delete/control/alt/cursor - keys.
>
> Having removed the doubled strings in both files - keyboard stopped
> switching layouts - only the led turning on/off remained.

As you are using the same kernel and xorg packages than squeeze, you now
have to play the same way squeeze does (or at least that seems to be the
most logical approach). Squeeze does not need to use a "/etc/X11/
xorg.conf" file at all, neither for managing the keyboard settings nor
for display: nowadays all this stuff has to be automatically configured
and setup by Xorg.

If you are having issues with your keyboard layout, first place to look
is at your Xorg log (/var/log/xorg.0.log) and search for any warnings.

If there are no evident clues, you can also try to configure your
keyboard by using your DE tools (GNOME and KDE both have nice tools for
setting up the keyboard layout options and the the behavior of the rest
of the compose keys -like alt, windows key or control-).

Your last resort is manually editing and adjust the "/etc/default/
keyboard" file, starting first with a minimal/basic file and then adding
the required tweaks.

>> You have to run "aplay -l", it should display the all your outputs, for
>> example:
>
> After I have install the very same kernel (version) from testing (before
> was from backports) - I have seen the card devices again and made them
> working w/ the following:
>
> $ cat .asoundrc
> # ALSA library configuration file
>
> # Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1). # (To
> disable these settings, comment out this line.)
>
> pcm.!default {
> type hw
> card 1
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
> type hw
> card 1
> }
>
> Now, it seems that the card is not fully represented in alsamixer - very
> few controls are there. Also, PCM control does not work - though is
> present there.
>
> $ aplay -L

(...)

> Changing to
>
> pcm.!default:SB
>
> or
>
> pcm.!default:Intel
>
> gave me:
> /
> ALSA lib conf.c:1661:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:12:14:Unexpected char
> ALSA lib conf.c:3441:(snd_config_hook_load) /home/rock/.asoundrc may be
> old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it ALSA lib
> conf.c:3302:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load
> returned error: Invalid argument ALSA lib
> conf.c:3687:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
> cannot open mixer: Invalid argument

Then remove that file and let's try another thing. What gives you "cat /
proc/asound/modules"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón