Re: Setting a default network cups printer [somewhat OT]

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:31:37 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

> On 12/14/2010 04:36 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Okay, let me check it in my squeeze:
>>
>> root@debian:~# lpoptions -d ricoh

(...)

>> File "loptions" has been created there.
>
> The working Test-squeeze has the same as yours, but, The lpoptions file
> is empty.  All users can use the printer.  Did you edit the lpoptions
> file to add users to it?  I don't remember ever doing that even when
> cups was working.

"/etc/cups/lpoptions" only has one line ("Default ricoh"), which was
automatically added after running the command. It doesn't have to have
nothing more as I only run the command to set the default printer.

OTOH, this command should not be needed to run at all, all the operations
can be done using CUPS web interface (when it works, of course). Take
this command as an alternative or when you need to automate the task.

> The Non-working squeeze is missing the lpoptions file. I have
> purge/reinstalled cups* more times than I can remember.
>
>   ~$ ls /media/testing/etc/cups/
>   classes.conf    cupsd.conf          cupsd.conf.dpkg-old  cups-pdf.conf
>   printers.conf    printers-old.conf  raw.types  ssl/ classes.conf.O
>   cupsd.conf.default  cupsd.conf.O         ppd/
>    printers.conf.O  raw.convs          snmp.conf

The file should not be there unless you run the command... hum, what kind
of path is that ("/media/testing/etc/cups/")? a chrooted one? :-?

>> And now for the user:
>>
>> test@debian:~$ lpoptions -d hp4250

(...)

>> test@debian:~$ ls -l
>> .cups
>> total 4
>
> This works on the testing squeeze but not on the other.

But what error are you getting when you run it? No errors and no file? :-?

>>> As this thread was about, yet another cups problem, and I had not
>>> remembered running lpoptions before I decided to see if it would/could
>>> assist me in solving problem.
>>
>> Ah, I remember that thread:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/11/msg01405.html
>>
>> If you are still facing the same problem and provided you removed/
>> reinstalled the package and nothing changed, I would open a bug report.
>
> I don't believe it is a Debian bug.  Something on the 3 partitions
> installed by the system installers is affecting those partitions. Each
> of them have this cups problem as well as:
>
> 2.Root login on startup comes up with a flag set that causes the root
> passwd and ssh passwd to be shown on the screen.  If after logging in
> Ctrl C is entered, a relogin restores normal root behavior.
>
> 3. Kernel package (make-kpkg) does not run on any of those partitions.
>
> I plan on deleting the offending partitions and installing, from CD, the
> new stable on two partitions then upgrade one to Sid.

The cleaner install, the better. I usually have several virtual machines
for that precise purpose, one VM for lenny, other with squeeze... just
for testing software programs and different setups.

> As mentioned before the installers were used to installing RedHat.  I
> think they left something, which I have not been able to find, somewhere
> on each partition that caused these problems.  Something that is normal
> for RH but not Debian.

Starting form scratch in a clean environment would be desiderable, yes.
If you are still facing the problem, then yes, report it. Reporting bugs
that are not really bugs happens all the time (we are users, not devels
nor experts, we can fail), so do not worry if the error is just on your
side, the origin of the error will be shown when dealing with it in the
BTS :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón