Re: Setting a default network cups printer [somewhat OT]

On 12/13/2010 02:06 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:12:58 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 02:22:39PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:

(...)

I always set the default printer from CUPS web interface and IIRC, you
need the root password for "delicate" tasks (like adding a new printer
or setting the default one). So, I guess these actions are kept as the
"default" (system wide settings) :-?

Does anyone know how to handle this _without_ root permissions?

I see there is an 'lp' group and user.

As per "man lpoptions":

***
FILES
~/.cups/lpoptions - user defaults and instances created by non-root
users.
/etc/cups/lpoptions - system-wide defaults and instances created by the
root user.
***

It seems from the lpoptions man page that the files you cite above are created by the lpoptions command. That is not so on my amd64 box. I have partitions for stable/testing/sid and new-testing. None of them have an /etc/cups/lpoptions file or any ~/.cups directories. I have looked through the docs and I have yet to find any mention on what should be in the .cups/lpoptions files. I made .cups dirs for root and myself put the output of lpoptions in a lpoptions file. That does not help with my problem. I believe it will help the OP with his though.

I hoped that this thread might help in getting cups to work on the stable/testing and sid partitions. Sadly it didn't. I have, however, cups working on a lenny (from CD) to Testing partition which is better then nothing.

As a possible side note that may be of help to others having a similar problem with cups. The 3 partitions that cups is not working on were installed on the HD by a company that advertizes Debian / RedHat systems installs. It turned out RedHat is what they know and I believe they have something installed incorrectly for Debian. The only partition that works correctly is the one I installed from Debian CD's.
This drive came with a system purchased 3-4 years ago.

Hope this might be of use to others.

Wayne