Re: Setting a default network cups printer [somewhat OT]

On 12/13/2010 05:13 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:14:34 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

On 12/13/2010 02:06 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:12:58 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

Does anyone know how to handle this _without_ root permissions?

I see there is an 'lp' group and user.

As per "man lpoptions":

***
FILES
~/.cups/lpoptions - user defaults and instances created by non-root
users.
/etc/cups/lpoptions - system-wide defaults and instances created by the
root user.
***

It seems from the lpoptions man page that the files you cite above are
created by the lpoptions command.

Mmm, no, I don't think so. Or at least I didn't get in that way.

What I understand from the man page is that those files need to be
manually created by the user or by root, not just by running the
command. I can be wrong, though.

{Quote}

ROOT ACCOUNT OPTIONS
       When run by the root user, lpoptions gets and sets default options and instances for all  users  in  the  /etc/cups/lpoptions
       file.
{\Quote}

That is not so on my amd64 box. I
have partitions for stable/testing/sid and new-testing. None of them
have an /etc/cups/lpoptions file or any ~/.cups directories.

Mine neither :-). I think when someone sets the printer settings using
CUPS web interface, those values are stored somewhere, in another place.

I have looked through the docs and I have yet to find any mention on
what should be in the .cups/lpoptions files.  I made .cups dirs for
root and myself put the output of lpoptions in a lpoptions file. That
does not help with my problem.  I believe it will help the OP with his
though.

What was your problem? This is the first post I see from you in this
thread :-?

Cups interface at localhost:631 will not connect to any of the tabs except Home and Online Help. All others say "500 Internal Server Error".

As this thread was about, yet another cups problem, and I had not remembered running lpoptions before I decided to see if it would/could
assist me in solving problem.

OTOH, it is not very clear for me what is exact role of those files. If
we read this doc:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/cupsdocumentation

It says:

***
(...) Page-specific option settings cannot be set as default in the PPD
files, but they can be set by editing the ~/.cups/lpoptions or /etc/cups/
lpoptions files.
***

But does not say what to put in there or in what format.

I hoped that this thread might help in getting cups to work on the
stable/testing and sid partitions.  Sadly it didn't.  I have, however,
cups working on a lenny (from CD) to Testing partition which is better
then nothing.

Maybe if you explain what's wrong in your side, someone can help :-)

As a possible side note that may be of help to others having a similar
problem with cups.  The 3 partitions that cups is not working on were
installed on the HD by a company that advertizes Debian / RedHat systems
installs.  It turned out RedHat is what they know and I believe they
have something installed incorrectly for Debian.  The only partition
that works correctly is the one I installed from Debian CD's. This drive
came with a system purchased 3-4 years ago.

Hope this might be of use to others.

I've never had any problem with CUPS, but true is that all the printers we
have at the office are very well supported by Linux (all are PostScript
or PCL6 based and using network adapters, just one of them is shared via
windows an using a samba backend), and still had not to play with
printers shared over a big network with VPN's or firewalls in between ;-)

I have only had a problem with cups on this AMD64 system. It was working fine on an 586 box, which I have used for years, until it (the 586 system) died. The Printer is an HP6P which I have used on all my Debian systems since 1994.

Wayne