Re: GRUB2 boot issue

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM, John W Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 14:36 -0500, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM, John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a new one for you GRUB2 gurus. I left my office attended by my 2 (5 &
>>> 7 yr. old very curious) grandsons. When about 3 minutes later I returned, my
>>> system (which is a multiple boot of Debian Linux SID, Windows 7 Pro, &
>>> Ubuntu 9,) had been rebooted form Windows7 to the GRUB2 rescue mode &
>>> stalled there. I figure one of them pushed the soft reboot button &
>>> restarted the system. Now I had it set to boot to Debian Linux
>>> automatically, but as I recall the GRUB2 boot-loader had beside the previous
>>> listed OS's, another load item on the menu. Which was GRUB2 rescue mode; Now
>>> I have been unable to boot the system into anything except the rescue mode
>>> The error message given is: GRUB can't find required file: x.updates. Now as
>>> I,"m at work & not looking at the exact message returned, I may be off a bit
>>> on the verbiage. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate a reply to me
>>> directly as sometimes the filters get list replies.
>>
>> There's never any grub2 rescue mode entry; you must mean "recovery
>> mode", which boots into single-user mode.
>>
>> This is the grub2 manual resolution:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#GRUB-only-offers-a-rescue-shell
>>
>> (By the way, your reply-to address is "John Foster"@liszt.debian.org
>> rather than your sending address, jfoster81747@gmail.com.)
>
> OK I read the link info & I do not think that an incorrect installation
> is the issue. I used Super Grub2 disk to start my Debian Linux mixed
> Sid/squeeze installation & Linux works fine from there as I'm using it
> to send this. exact message that I get when grub2 tries to boot the
> computer is;
>
> rescue> error: symbol not found: 'grub_xputs'
>
> so the system has defaulted to drop me into the rescue mode as there is
> a file needed for proper bootin, missing. I did try completely removing
> all of the grub-common & everything with grub2 or grub in the name or
> description, Then reinstalled everything. I still having the same
> problem. & thanks Tom for the tip re e-mail; I have it set this way so I
> will get my mail regardless of whether or not I get a list feed. Thanks!

You're welcome about the reply-to address.

I thought that the resolution of the "grub rescue" prompt was the
above routine (which I've used once). It seems that it works if
there's no error message (and perhaps for some/all error messages
other than "symbol not found: 'grub_xputs'"...).

I've googled 'grub_xputs' and there are Debian and Ubuntu bug reports
about it, the resolution of which is the re-installation of grub.

How did you re-install? Did you boot from a CD, chroot, and purge and
re-install grub-common and grub-pc? (You could've just - theoretically
- run "grub-install /dev/sdX" after chrooting.)