Re: Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

On Sunday 19 December 2010 19:09:46 Bob Proulx wrote:
>  I don't think that "init s" would work - but you are
>
> > probably about to tell me that it would. ;-)
>
> Yes.  I am going to say, "It should work."  :-)

My curtiosity being even more 'satiable than the elephant's child, I tried.

The short answer is it doesn't work.

The longer answer is that it threw the computer I was trying it on into a fit
of the sulks: the konsole kept going with a root command prompt until there
were enough to fill the screen.  At that point it froze (still in the GUI)
and the keyboard stopped working completely.   I finally managed to sort it
out by changing keyboard 3 times (2 x ps2 and 1 x USB), and rebooting twice,
when the mouse at least (and at last) decided to wake up and I could do
anything at all.  I was about to resort to the on/off button (a very extreme
solution!).  After the first reboot the status had barely changed, but a
second reboot returned (or seems to have returned) the system to normality.

The messing around with keyboards probably did nothing more than prevent me
from using the off button on the front of the computer, by giving me the
illusion that I was doing something.

So - Oh my friends be warned by me!  init 1 is fine.  init s is not.  Paul has
given a very clear exposition of the facts either above of below, depending
on how you thread your emails.

Oh - and I ought to have learned from the elephant's child that 'satiable
curtiosity is sometimes highly undesirable.  But it is probably a bit late
now for me to learn.

Lisi