Re: Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

On Sunday 19 December 2010 18:46:18 Bob Proulx wrote:
> Runlevel 1 is almost universially used to implement single user mode.
> When you ask why not use 1 instead of "single" the answer is that
> there isn't any reason.  I just think it more clear to ask for single
> user mode directly and not jump to the runlevel that you know
> implements it.  But you can if you know that information.  No reason
> not to.

If I want to boot into single user from a cold start, I do it via GRUB.  But
if I am in a GUI and I want to actually change (rather than just bring up a
tty) I use "init 1".  I don't think that "init s" would work - but you are
probably about to tell me that it would. ;-)

Lisi