Re: Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

On 12/19/2010 06:02 PM, Lisi wrote:
> So - Oh my friends be warned by me!  init 1 is fine.  init s is not.  Paul has
> given a very clear exposition of the facts either above of below, depending
> on how you thread your emails.
I guess ( after reading Bob's reply) I forgot to mention, NORMALLY you
do those from the ATL-F1 text login screen, where you login as ROOT...
NOT from the X_windows ( gnome, kde...)
my usual init commands are:
# init 6 ( thats just a reboot)

# init 0 ( turn the sucker OFF)

# init 1 ( bring me down to single user mode!)
# init 2 ( start the X-windows & all the rest of the normal services)

I used to use init S/s back in the UNIX days, and it used to mean
something, probably not the same anymore.. It used to bring it down to
single user & umount all file systems EXCEPT root.. but I see from the
man init :
     -s, S, single
            Single  user  mode boot. In this mode /etc/inittab is
examined and the bootup rc scripts are usually run before the single
user  mode shell is started.

now they have "-b"
-b, emergency
            Boot  directly  into a single user shell without running any
other startup scripts.

so, there are still multiple ways to get booted, even in single user mode..

YMMV :)

> Oh - and I ought to have learned from the elephant's child that 'satiable
> curtiosity is sometimes highly undesirable.  But it is probably a bit late
> now for me to learn.

but you really didn't HURT anything, right?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800