Re: Spontaneously aborting X startup during Linux boot process

On 12/19/2010 02:09 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> tty) I use "init 1".  I don't think that "init s" would work - but you are
>> > probably about to tell me that it would. ;-)
> Yes.  I am going to say, "It should work."  :-)
>
> Personally I wouldn't move from multiuser to single user directly.  I
> would always reboot first and then boot into single user mode.  Then
> when leaving single user mode reboot into multiple user mode.  That
> way is very well tested.  Doing other things /should/ work but I
> wouldn't be surprised to find interesting corner cases.  It is
> definitely the road less well traveled.

man init:
  /sbin/init [ -a ] [ -s ] [ -b ] [ -z xxx ] [ 0123456Ss ]
       /sbin/telinit [ -t SECONDS ] [ 0123456sSQqabcUu ]
RUNLEVELS
       A  runlevel is a software configuration of the system which
allows only
       a selected group of processes to exist.  The processes spawned by
 init
       for each of these runlevels are defined in the /etc/inittab file.
 Init
       can be in one of eight runlevels: 0-6 and S (a.k.a. s).   The
runlevel

 Runlevels S, 0, 1, and 6 are reserved.  Runlevel S is used to  initial-
       ize the system on boot.  When starting runlevel S (on boot) or
runlevel
       1 (switching from a multi-user runlevel) the system is entering
``single-user  mode'', after which the current runlevel is S.  Runlevel
0 is used to halt the system; runlevel 6 is used to reboot the system.
After booting through S the system  automatically  enters  one  of  the
multi-user  runlevels  2  through 5, unless there was some problem that
needs to be fixed by the administrator in single-user  mode.   Normally
after  entering single-user mode the administrator performs maintenance
and then reboots the system.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800