Re: unloading unnecessary modules

Stan,

sorry for the late response.

lspci gives me this about my Ethernet adapter.

.
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit
Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company NC360T PCI Express Dual
Port Gigabit Server Adapter
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr+ Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 154
        Region 0: Memory at fbfe0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Region 1: Memory at fbfc0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 5000 [size=32]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at e6200000 [disabled] [size=128K]

The target application is a OTP (online transaction processing) with
is driven by CICS. The volume maybe high but latency is important. The
application is CPU bound (80% on 1 core).  but not disk/io or memory
bound. All of our servers have 16GB of memory with 8 cores. The
application is written in C (compiled with Intel based compiler). We
are using a DNS cache solution and sometimes hardcoding /etc/hosts to
avoid any DNS. It does not do too many DNS lookups.

I am really interested in tcp/ip offloading from the kernel and have
the NIC do it. I have read,
http://fiz.stanford.edu:8081/display/ramcloud/Low+latency+RPCs and it
seems very promising.