Re: monitor IBM serveraid

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:26:36 +0100, mourik jan c heupink wrote:

>> But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have CLI based tools
>> integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without the needing of
>> having to drop the kernel module.
>
> So, suppose I would be able to buy different brand hardware, would I be
> better of with HP, for example? Or dell? Or...?

Dunno. Maybe I'd look into "3ware/lsi" or "areca" (but their cards are a
bit expensive). Now that know how this goes I would contact first to the
manufacturer and ask for its debian support.

Hardware raid seems to solve may issues (easy to manage, better
performance...) but all that glitters is not gold.

> I would simply be like to monitor my raid sets, and get a notification
> when a drive goes down. So easy with software raid... :-)

Yep :-)

> It's stupid: I always bought IBM because they have supported linux for a
> long time, but now we're moving from suse enterprise to debian, and
> things suddenly become complicated...

Hey, I also moved from openSUSE to Debian in the last year, but in
openSUSE was also using plain aacraid module for the raid controller (at
least it was properly detected by the system) but had no option for
managing the arrays :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón