Re: monitor IBM serveraid

> From: mourik jan c heupink <heupink@merit.unu.edu>
> Subject: Re: monitor IBM serveraid
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 13:26
> > But it's a pity these raid
> controllers do not have CLI based tools
> > integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without
> the needing of
> > having to drop the kernel module.
>
> So, suppose I would be able to buy different brand
> hardware, would I be better of with HP, for example? Or
> dell? Or...?
>
> I would simply be like to monitor my raid sets, and get a
> notification when a drive goes down. So easy with software
> raid... :-)
>
> It's stupid: I always bought IBM because they have
> supported linux for a long time, but now we're moving from
> suse enterprise to debian, and things suddenly become
> complicated...

I can't speak for the other manufacturers, but dell have an awful track record when it comes to raid controllers. Steer well clear, or just get a system sans raid controller and by an aftermarket one from a well known manufacturer.

Lets put it this way; personally I won't be trusting raid controllers from any large server vendor that ships with their own bastardised firmware again.