Re: monitor IBM serveraid

> From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: monitor IBM serveraid
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 12:13
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:44:19 +0100,
> mourik jan c heupink wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way on debian to monitor IBM
> ServeRAID hardware for
> > failed disks? Specifically: the xSeries 3650,
> ServeRAID 8k RAID10.
> >
> > Configuring software raid to send an notification
> email is easy enough,
> > but that's not why we bought the nice IBM hardware
> raid...
>
> If this information is true:
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/58480/serveraid-8-k-linux-kernel-support-preferred-distribution
>
> And your raid controller is using "aacraid" module, I think
> you are stuck :-
> (
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxRaidForAdmins
>
> (side note, I'm also using "aacraid" module and no
> monitoring possible
> for my raid1 and raid5 inside OS, just BIOS, at least while
> using aacraid
> module which included in kernel).
>
> I would contact IBM and tell them about your options. They
> provide
> drivers for RedHat and SLES linux distributions, so they
> can give you
> updated and accurate advice on this.

We use adaptec 5805 controllers in our servers with the debian aacraid kernel module, and adaptec provide a "storage manager" tool as an rpm package (perhaps IBM provide something similar, or perhaps the adaptec tool would be fine for you if it's a rebranded card).  I just converted the rpm with alien and installed the storage manager.

With that I can fire up storeman and use the adaptec storace manager remotely, or use the embedded "chkconfig" tool to check the status of my raid arrays.

I use a nagios script to call the "chkconfig" tool for monitoring - this has been working well for the past couple of years.

Glyn