Re: Problems with cups/printconf on Squeeze and Sid

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:34:38 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

> On 11/21/2010 10:49 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> And why not reporting the error? A year is so much time for leaving
>> Cups crashing without reporting the bug. Printing facility is a must in
>> any system.
>
> IIRC when I first experienced this Cups error, I checked the bug out and
> it had been reported but had not been fixed.  As I needed to get the
> printer working I installed the print server.  I had no problems with
> the server and promptly forgot about it.

Do you remember the bug report number?

>> Yep, strange. I have squeeze (32 bits) installed and cups works fine.
>>

> That was also the case on the 685 box.  I can't imagine that people
> running AMD64 don't have a working cups system.
>
> Cups has always been a PITA, to me, anyway.  It required more work after
> each "upgrade" here.  I recall many people moving to lpring or
> magicfilter so they could avoid the cups problems.

I've never had problems with Cups but true is that I'm lucky of having
good printers (all postscript based and networked) so setting up them is
plain easy :-P

But yes, Cups is giving many headaches to people (I've seen lots of
complains in another mailing lists).

> Thanks for the help.  I am going to see if I can get lpring or
> migicfilter to work so I can get on with my work.

Okay. You can also test with "127.0.0.1:631" (instead "localhost") to see
what happens :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón