Re: Problems with cups/printconf on Squeeze and Sid

On 11/21/2010 10:49 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:05:05 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

On 11/21/2010 07:20 AM, Camaleón wrote:

Uh? That is not normal. You should be able to add/manage your printer
from web interface. What do logs say?

Sorry, I forgot the log entries.  After purging all of the cups packages
as well as all of the dependices, and re-install of version 1.4.4-3, the
problem remains.  The log is interesting.

/var/log/cups/error_log

W [21/Nov/2010:09:14:17 -0500] [CGI] Missing Product in
/usr/share/ppd/hp-ppd/HP/HP_DeskJet_630C.ppd!

That seems just a (W)arning message.

E [21/Nov/2010:09:17:53
-0500] PID 355 (/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi) crashed on signal 6!
E [21/Nov/2010:09:18:24 -0500] PID 662 (/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/admin.cgi)
crashed on signal 6!
E [21/Nov/2010:09:21:04 -0500] Unable to bind socket for address ::1:631
- Cannot assign requested address.

Those entries are more serious (E)rrors and for me worth for bug
reporting because Cups is just crashing :-/

BTW I am trying to get an HP Laser HP-6P installed, not a "Deskjet"

Odd that I can connect to localhost:631, the cups home page OK though. I
then upgraded to the sid  version 1.4.4-7 and the error_log shows

Unable to bind socket for address ::1:631 - Cannot assign requested
address. PID 21560 (/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/admin.cgi) crashed on signal
6!

I would not install the sid version while running squeeze, unless
explicitly recommended.

Cups has not worked on this AMD64 system for over a year and if I recall
correctly, this error is the what made me set up the 686 system as the
print server.

And why not reporting the error? A year is so much time for leaving Cups
crashing without reporting the bug. Printing facility is a must in any
system.

IIRC when I first experienced this Cups error, I checked the bug out and it had been reported but had not been fixed. As I needed to get the printer working I installed the print server. I had no problems
with the server and promptly forgot about it.

This box, squeeze partition, is updated 3-4 times a week and the sid
partition at least once a week.  They both have the same problem.

Strange.....

Yep, strange. I have squeeze (32 bits) installed and cups works fine.

That was also the case on the 685 box. I can't imagine that people running AMD64 don't have a working cups system.

Cups has always been a PITA, to me, anyway. It required more work after each "upgrade" here. I recall many people moving to lpring or
magicfilter so they could avoid the cups problems.

Thanks for the help. I am going to see if I can get lpring or migicfilter to work so I can get on with my work.

Have a nice day

Wayne