Re: Problems with cups/printconf on Squeeze and Sid

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:26:41 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

>    I can't get cups to do anything but show the entry page at
> localhost:631.  All of the other tabs display 500 Internal Server Error.

Uh? That is not normal. You should be able to add/manage your printer
from web interface. What do logs say?

Also, have you tried with "lpadmin"? Is the command line utility for
managing printers in Cups.

>    This is on an AMD64 system.  Cups was working on a 686 system but the
> system recently died so I have lost my print server.
>
>    The AMD sys does not have a parallel port so I am trying to get it
> working with a USB to Centronics adapter.  The adapter is seen by the
> system and loads up the hplip module correctly.
>
>    I installed the printconf package and, while there are not bugs
> reported on the package. I get errors from it.
>
>    A google search was only able to come up with the same error (shown
> below) but no fix was found.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as I
> am at a dead end now.

(...)

I would try first to get Cups working as it should, getting a 500 error
is not a good signal. If it's necessary purge the package and reinstall
it again. After that, I'd install the printer by using hpijs or hplip PPD
file, avoinding the use of hplip suite.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón