Re: Frustration made me do it.

In <[🔎] 20101120185835.2915d9d3.celejar@gmail.com>, Celejar wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:26:43 -0600
>"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> Much of the memory usage can be blamed on aggressive per-tab caching of
>> webpages and/or extensions or plugins.  Still, I find FF to cause me more
>> problems than my other browser options, but having it around is essential
>> for some sites, it seems.
>>
>> I still prefer konqueror, or chromium-browser if konqueror doesn't work on
>> a certain site.  Still, I find myself using FF + ABP on a few
>> flash-ad-ridden sites.
>
>I have resisted installing konq, since I don't use KDE, and I have a
>perhaps irrational resistance to installing that first KDE package that
>will drag in all sorts of KDE libs and stuff.

Maybe it is irrational, but I don't really see a good reason to use Konq if
you don't use KDE.  I've used KDE since 3.3, and enjoy the level of
integration.  If you don't benefit from the integration, it's just an aging
browser, though there is on-going work to make it more modern without losing
the integration.

There are other WebKit-based browsers besides Chromium out there and there are
other Gecko-based browsers besides FireFox / IceWeasel out there.  By
experimenting you may find one that is less bad for you than FireFox.

Finally, if you need a browser that doesn't cost anything, even if it is not
Free Software, Opera is supposed to be fairly good, and I think they even have
.debs available.  I used it as my primary browser before switching to Linux
(and mostly Free Software) and I actually found it much more usable than both
IE6 and whatever Mozilla product was available at the time.