Re: Frustration made me do it.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:26:43 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> In <[🔎] 20101119161324.2ed2f1a8.celejar@gmail.com>, Celejar wrote:
> >On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:03:44 +0000 (UTC)
> >Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Mozilla products are memory/CPU hogs, yes. I hope newer versions can
> >> correct that.
> >
> >I often wonder about this; IIRC, FF used to advertise itself as
> >"lightweight".  Does it still do that?  Was it ever accurate?
>
> It was lighter that the Mozilla suite that it "replaced".  It was similar
> technology, but just a browser.  It lacked the HTML editing abilities, the
> mail and news reader components, and a few other things.  This significantly
> reduced load times and initial memory usage.

Okay, thanks.

> Much of the memory usage can be blamed on aggressive per-tab caching of
> webpages and/or extensions or plugins.  Still, I find FF to cause me more
> problems than my other browser options, but having it around is essential for
> some sites, it seems.
>
> I still prefer konqueror, or chromium-browser if konqueror doesn't work on a
> certain site.  Still, I find myself using FF + ABP on a few flash-ad-ridden
> sites.

I have resisted installing konq, since I don't use KDE, and I have a
perhaps irrational resistance to installing that first KDE package that
will drag in all sorts of KDE libs and stuff.  I've occasionally tried
chromium, but it never worked very well, and I couldn't be bothered to
investigate and figure out why.

Celejar