Re: Frustration made me do it.

In <[🔎] 20101119161324.2ed2f1a8.celejar@gmail.com>, Celejar wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:03:44 +0000 (UTC)
>Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:37:32 -0800, Dan Serban wrote:
>> > After years of running the mozilla suite (remember when you couldn't
>> > refresh a POST document in mozilla 0.6?) and begrudgingly moving to
>> > Firefox, then falling in love with iceweasel.  Today, sad as it is, is
>> > when I feel that I must announce that I decided to:
>> >
>> > # aptitude purge iceweasel icedove
>> >
>> > I will spare you the minute details for my decision, but I assume most
>> > of you experience the same frustrations I do.  The increasing bloat, the
>> > never enough memory (16gb real, 32gb swap) being happily claimed by a
>> > single tab and xul-runner eating it all.
>>
>> Mozilla products are memory/CPU hogs, yes. I hope newer versions can
>> correct that.
>
>I often wonder about this; IIRC, FF used to advertise itself as
>"lightweight".  Does it still do that?  Was it ever accurate?

It was lighter that the Mozilla suite that it "replaced".  It was similar
technology, but just a browser.  It lacked the HTML editing abilities, the
mail and news reader components, and a few other things.  This significantly
reduced load times and initial memory usage.

Much of the memory usage can be blamed on aggressive per-tab caching of
webpages and/or extensions or plugins.  Still, I find FF to cause me more
problems than my other browser options, but having it around is essential for
some sites, it seems.

I still prefer konqueror, or chromium-browser if konqueror doesn't work on a
certain site.  Still, I find myself using FF + ABP on a few flash-ad-ridden
sites.