Re: Preventing installation of specific virtual packages

On 19 November 2010 18:39, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 November 2010 18:17, Camaleón wrote:
> It has to be global in order to affect all package manager tools. If not,
> when a user installs a package by other means, the "tabu" one could be
> also installed and that should be prevented.

Well, I'm speaking specifically of the way aptitude/apt works as
invoked by live-build to populate the chroot... once the distro is
built, I don't care if someone installs the package or not (although
since it's mainly for personal use, I'm unlikely to change my mind).

Note that live-build uses one set of settings to create the initial
image (eg. use a local mirror) but separate settings for the live
image itself. The more general case of a single, static system would
require a global mechanism, yes.

(What would be really tricky is per-package settings. I always thought
that there should be a range for the pin priority that says "don't
install if only recommended, but do install for a strict
dependence"...)

— Jason