Re: Preventing installation of specific virtual packages

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:24:36 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:

> On 19 November 2010 18:17, Camaleón wrote:
>> Something like having a "global switch" that prevents any of dpkg, apt-
>> get, aptitude... to get a package going through and warns the user
>> about it.
>
> It doesn't need to be global, something that works with either apt or
> aptitude will do, since these are the tools that can be used for
> live-build to create the image.

It has to be global in order to affect all package manager tools. If not,
when a user installs a package by other means, the "tabu" one could be
also installed and that should be prevented.

> Warning the user would be pointless though, since it's not an
> interactive process.

Not all updates/installations are fully interactive. There can be
situations when manual intervention is required. So, if a package policy
is being applied and the user has deciced to block the installation of a
bunch of packages but these packages pull another packages that are
marked as "tabu", a warning message should be displayed to the user,
asking what to do (just in case of conflicts, broken dependencies or
problems).

Note that I'm not talking here about just _your concrete_ situation, this
option could be useful for everyone.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón