Preventing installation of specific virtual packages

This originally arose from a discussion on debian-live[1] (sorry to
anyone who reads both lists, but it seemed more appropriate to
continue this tangent here).

I wanted to block installation of a couple of recommended packages in
the chroot stage of a live-build, while letting all other recommends
be installed as usual. It was suggested that I use apt-pinning to do
this, like so:

----
Package: whatever
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1
----

However, one of those recommended packages is "default-mta |
mail-transport-agent". I tried:

----
Package: default-mta
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: mail-transport-agent
Pin: release *
Pin-Priority: -1
----

But this has no effect — exim4-daemon-light still gets installed,
despite only being recommended. Is it possible to use pinning to do
this, or another method involving apt(itude) configuration? I'd rather
avoid an equivs package or the like, because that adds extra steps to
the build process (and I can't just zip up my config area and use it
elsewhere, I need to carry any equiv sources around too).

Cheers,
Jason

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2010/11/msg00147.html