Re: Preventing installation of specific virtual packages

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 13:55 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:
> This originally arose from a discussion on debian-live[1] (sorry to
> anyone who reads both lists, but it seemed more appropriate to
> continue this tangent here).
>
> I wanted to block installation of a couple of recommended packages in
> the chroot stage of a live-build, while letting all other recommends
> be installed as usual. It was suggested that I use apt-pinning to do
> this, like so:
>
> ----
> Package: whatever
> Pin: release *
> Pin-Priority: -1
> ----
>
> However, one of those recommended packages is "default-mta |
> mail-transport-agent". I tried:
>
> ----
> Package: default-mta
> Pin: release *
> Pin-Priority: -1
>
> Package: mail-transport-agent
> Pin: release *
> Pin-Priority: -1
> ----
>
> But this has no effect — exim4-daemon-light still gets installed,
> despite only being recommended. Is it possible to use pinning to do
> this, or another method involving apt(itude) configuration? I'd rather
> avoid an equivs package or the like, because that adds extra steps to
> the build process (and I can't just zip up my config area and use it
> elsewhere, I need to carry any equiv sources around too).

Aptitude installs recommends by default. That can be turned off in
"Options -> Preferences -> Dependency handling -> Install recommended
packages automatically".

I have never turned the option off myself so I'm not sure if it'll do
what you need but you could try if you haven't already.