Re: postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:21:17 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 08 nov 10, 06:10:06, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > On 11/08/2010 03:20 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:> Because Yahoo has paid
> > only POP3 access. You can however let another
> > > free provider fetch your yahoo mail, like Gmail or GMX, both offer quite
> > > good IMAP/POP access
> >
> > I didn't realize that you could import Yahoo email into GMail.. but it
> > DOES use "yet another third party app":
> > http://www.trueswitch.com/gmail/terms/index_en.html?lang=en
> > and it is limited, and it is a beta, and it will only pull in mail for
> > up to 30 days.
>
> Nope. See
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=21288
>
> (Yes, it says your provider has to have POP access, but it works for me
> with my Yahoo account and so did GMX.

Whoa.  This sounded really weird - is Gmail scraping Yahoo?  Or do they
have a private deal to get POP access?  Why would Yahoo do that?

So I began to try it myself - but when I saw that it was clearly a POP
setup, right before handing over my Yahoo password to Gmail, I thought
that I'd better try POP myself first.  So I fired up getmail, and
voilà!  Vanilla POP access!

Yahoo still claims that you only get POP access if you sign up for Mail
Plus:

> Do I have to sign up for Yahoo! Mail Plus to POP my mail?
>
> Last Updated: August 31, 2010
>
> The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as
> Outlook or Outlook Express) is only available to customers of our
> premium  Yahoo! Mail Plus service.
>
> If you have not purchased the  Yahoo! Mail Plus service, you will be
> unable to retrieve messages via an email client. To determine whether
> or not you have purchased this service, please visit the My Services
> page.

*shrugs*

FWIW, I'm using POP over SSL at port 995:

Celejar