Re: scrollbar on left side

lee wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:39:22PM +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:
On 2010-10-21 22:48, lee wrote:
On a side note: Someone once asked me why the text is moving up when
you move the scrollbar down. Where´s the logic in that? Why isn´t the
text moving up together with the scroll bar?

Seriously? It indicates the position in the document, and so it behaves.

Yes, seriously, and I do see the point. You move the text with the
scrollbar, so why does the text move into the opposite direction of
the scrollbar?

Because it models moving a _viewer_ (e.g., the far end of binoculars or
a telescope) down the text rather than moving the _text_ up.

And the inconsistency causing your "why?" is that the actual viewer
(the viewport drawn on your screen) is not moving, and instead the
text is actually moving up.

On http://maps.google.com/, try dragging in the scroller (the smaller
view in the lower right corner) and then try dragging in the main map,
and notice how in one case the map moves in the opposite direction.

If dragging in the middle of the text window scrolled the text in
the opposite direction, that really would be confusing and very
backwards.

Daniel