Re: scrollbar on left side

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 06:44:50PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:21:43 +0200, lee wrote:

> >> You mean in the whole KDE environment or just in some apps?
> >
> > everywhere
>
> Ugh... then dunno.

It was promised years ago for KDE 4.x to be able to finally put the
scroll bar on the left ...

> I know there are applications that let the user to select where to put
> the scrollbar

Yes, some do, and I have set the scroll bar to left whereever I
could. The ones that remain on the right side are all the more
annoying.

> > The scrollbar belongs on the left side, not on the right side ...
>
> Under what "locale"? :-)

That shouldn´t matter since it´s personal preference. If I was reading
and writing from right to left instead of from left to right and if I
was using the trackball with my right hand, I might eventually want
the scrollbars on the right side. In that case, I might have placed my
monitor on the right side of my desk instead of on the left side and
would be leaning to left in my chair rather than to the right ...

But as things are, I´m writing/reading left to right and use the
trackball with my left. Naturally, the scrollbars have to be on the
left side and not on the right side. --- Do you think I could change
lokale to something that has scrollbars on the left but doesn´t change
anything else?

I probably can´t explain it, but to give you an analogy: Having the
scroll bars on the right side is worse than having to cross your arms
all the time when using the trackball/mouse or the keyboard ... When
you look at the gauges you have in your car, are they on the passenger
side or on the driver side? Having the scroll bars on the right makes
about as much sense as having those gauges on the passenger side. (And
I´m sitting on the left side of the car and drive on the right side of
the road. If there were scroll bars in cars, they´d have to be on the
left side, of course ...)

On a side note: Someone once asked me why the text is moving up when
you move the scrollbar down. Where´s the logic in that? Why isn´t the
text moving up together with the scroll bar?

Scrollbars are a good idea, but surprisingly, their implementation
hasn´t been thought out more than half way at best. Why is that?