Re: scrollbar on left side

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:39:22PM +0200, Andreas Weber wrote:
> On 2010-10-21 22:48, lee wrote:
> > On a side note: Someone once asked me why the text is moving up when
> > you move the scrollbar down. Where´s the logic in that? Why isn´t the
> > text moving up together with the scroll bar?
>
> Seriously? It indicates the position in the document, and so it behaves.

Yes, seriously, and I do see the point. You move the text with the
scrollbar, so why does the text move into the opposite direction of
the scrollbar?

You have a good point though that the bar indicates the position and
behaves like that. But this isn´t so obvious --- or call it counter
intuitve ...

> > Scrollbars are a good idea, but surprisingly, their implementation
> > hasn´t been thought out more than half way at best. Why is that?
>
> One started and this is how it is today.

Yes, I know, but it´s still amazing that it is still like that.

They keep changing how the input devices for the console and X11 are
configured all the time, but you can´t even configure the
scrollbars yet. Once could conclude that these things are still at
alpha stages ;)

> <joking>Do more vi at the console, it'll teach you to get rid of that
> trackball which is a bad habit anyway.</joking>

Na, emacs is so much better than vi ... ;)

Seriously, vi is probably great, but I never could bring myself to
learn it. And emacs has the scrollbar on the left, so why bother with
vi? :P