Re: Squeeze can't handle ATI M3's anymore. (X11 issue)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:04:52 -0600, Morgan Gangwere wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:12:52 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>> It can fail. Xorg autodetection is not a "rocket science" :-)
>
> I'm just rather astonished that its failing more than it used to.

I faced some problems while using CRT with VGA port but none with LCD and
DVI-D link. Besides, there can be also glitches with each graphical
drivers. KMS is pretty new.

>> I would look at xorg logs (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) and if you estimate
>> convenient (and _not using_ ati proprietary drivers), write down a bug
>> report.
>
> X logs
>
> -8<- Xorg.0.log -8<-

(...)

You'll need the full logs, not partial ones :-)

BTW, I see no errors (WW/EE) in the above log.

> the Vesa driver however just doesn't work on these old 8MB M3's.
> Something happens and it locks up with either a trashed screen (What
> looks to be the GRUB background splash)
>
> As for proprietary drivers, this doesn't *have* any -- they were dropped
> from support long ago, and now have nice DRI support at 1024x768!

Good, if you are not using a closed driver you can fill a bug. Just be
sure to provide the full logs so DD can take a look.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón