Re: setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:19, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> The keyboard layout is different on the console because Xmodmap is
> ineffective on the console

Not at all, it works very well in my experience

>... And how´s that the other way round:
> When you modify the keyboard layout on the console, will you have the
> same layount for X11?

Indeed

>> > Perhaps it works when I disable hald? What愀 hald good for, anyway? It
>> > only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
>> > it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?
>>
>> Hal was fundamentally a good idea, but had some implementation
>> problems that cause them to eventually replace it with direct libudev
>> access and upower and udisks (formerly devicekit-*). Squeeze's X
>> uses udev instead of HAL
>
> Hm, I´m using testing, but hal was installed automatically because
> packages depend on it. What´s it for when it´s not being used?

Ugh, KDE in particular (and few others as well) have been slow to change
over to udev/udisks/upower.

Use aptitude in interactive mode to see hal's reverse dependencies, and
which of them are installed. For example, k3b is only reason I currently
have hal installed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers