Re: setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:37:13PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:31:34 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:56:07PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > unfortunately, the configuration of mouse and keyboard for X11 has
> > > changed, so they don´t work correctly anymore after a fresh
> > > install.
> > >
> > > Now I need keyboard and mouse to work as they did before:
> > >

> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > >     Identifier     "Mouse0"
> > >     Driver         "mouse"
> > >     Option         "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> > >     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > >     Option         "11"
> > >     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> > >     Option         "EmulateWheel" "True"
> > >     Option         "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> > >     Option         "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > >     Option         "EmulateWheelClickToo" "0"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > >     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
> > >     Driver         "kbd"
> > >     Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> > >     Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
> > >     Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > How do I tell the x-server that I have a keyboard with 102 keys? How
> > > do I make it so that the trackball emulates a mouse wheel again?
> >
> > Ok, I was able to enable the wheel emulation with
> >

> >   xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation
> > Button" 8
> >

> > How do I make it so that it´s set up automatically?
> >
> > The problem with the keyboard remains ...
> >

> that's strange - your xconfig file looks like it's set-up correctly and
> that you wouldn't need the xinput.

It is set up correctly, but the settings are ignored, see man
xorg.conf: "If AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using the kbd, mouse or
vmmouse driver are ignored."

When I turn AllowEmptyInput off, all input devices are ignored :((((

> It really should be part of the xconfig file...

Indeed, it should, but they changed it.

Perhaps it works when I disable hald? What´s hald good for, anyway? It
only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?