Re: setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 06:09:20AM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 01:56, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:37:13PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> Mouse stuff still goes in xorg.conf AFAIK
> You probably want:
> driver     "evdev"
> and delete the "protocol" line altogether.
>
> You might try:
> device    "mouse0"
> as well.

That might work, it´s worth a try, thanks.

> > Indeed, it should, but they changed it.
>
> for good reason: now keyboard config is universal between the console
> and X

The keyboard layout is different on the console because Xmodmap is
ineffective on the console ... And how´s that the other way round:
When you modify the keyboard layout on the console, will you have the
same layount for X11?

> > Perhaps it works when I disable hald? What愀 hald good for, anyway? It
> > only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
> > it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?
>
> Hal was fundamentally a good idea, but had some implementation
> problems that cause them to eventually replace it with direct libudev
> access and upower and udisks (formerly devicekit-*). Squeeze's X
> uses udev instead of HAL

Hm, I´m using testing, but hal was installed automatically because
packages depend on it. What´s it for when it´s not being used?