Re: Lenny backports installation of one package only

> What reference?

This reference.  The reference I included.

Ok I didn't associate this part with what I was trying to do.

I would try first one then the other:

1. Use Roman Khomasuridze's suggestion:
 > if you want to upgrade only iceweasel, then run
 >   apt-get install iceweasel/lenny-backports
 > by this, apt will try to install iceweasel from backports but will try to
 > match its dependencies from lenny. it worked for me...

2. Install the /etc/apt/preferences file as recommended.  That will
  change the pinning rules.

Bob

Doing some further investigation it looks like it may be unsafe to install a later version of iceweasel as it seems to require a later version of a package which then breaks the older gnucash:

I looked at the man page for apt_preferences then added the following as a preferences file:

Package: gnucash
Pin: version 2.2.6-2
Pin-Priority: 1001

The idea is to keep gnucash at this version.

then

# aptitude -t lenny-backports install iceweasel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
  iceweasel-l10n-en-gb xulrunner-1.9.1
  libmozjs2d{a}
  iceweasel libcairo2 libglib2.0-0 libnss3-1d libpixman-1-0 libsqlite3-0
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  libglib2.0-data
6 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 106 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.2MB of archives. After unpacking 28.0MB will be used.
  xulrunner-1.9.1: Breaks: gnucash (< 2.2.9-7~) but 2.2.6-2 is installed.
  iceweasel-l10n-en-gb: Depends: iceweasel (<= 3.1) but 3.5.12-2~bpo50+1 is to be installed.

Remove the following packages:
gnucash

Upgrade the following packages:
iceweasel-l10n-en-gb [1:3.0.6+debian-1 (stable, now) -> 1:3.5.11+debian-1~bpo50+1
(lenny-backports)]

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
gnucash-common recommends gnucash (>= 2.2.6-2)
Score is -11

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.

It looks like I need to review my decision not to upgrade gnucash. I didn't want to mess with this for various reasons (partly because I have a separate system which I use only for internet banking and I'd have to then add backports to this also. I suppose if it works ok this wouldn't be an issue. However I don't want to find out down the line that something fails and I have updated gnucash accounts using a version I can't continue with.)

Maybe I'll try Roman's suggestion.