Re: Disable IPv6

James Brown on 07/10/10 15:52, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
Just a quick question - can I disable IPv6 for my whole machine?

I mean apart from changing some kernel compilation flags.

I have two software apps which are meant to be interacting with each
other and with servers on the net, but they aren't and they aren't
giving me much to go on, and their respective support teams are blaming
each other for the resulting connectivity issues.

This is only temporary (I hope) - it is a gateway machine I'm talking
about - the apps are running on Windows on the LAN.

I found this on the net:

"
You can disable IPv6 system-wide by editing your module configuration
file. This is usually one of /etc/odprobe.conf or
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases, depending on your distro. Remove any references
to IPv6 and add these two lines.

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off
"

Is that going to do the job fine for lenny?

What is your distro, your kernel?
For lenny's kernel 2.6.26 you can include the file ipv5.conf into the
directory /etc/modprobe.d with the next content:
blacklist ipv6
For the next versions of kernel (i.e. 2.6.32) you can include the words
"ipv6.disable=1" into /boot/grub/menu.lst such as the next:
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64
root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ipv6.disable=1 ro
Or compile your own kernel withount ipv6 from sources.

Yes, it's lenny 2.6.26.

Are you sure you mean ipv5.conf? ipv4.conf or ipv6.conf surely?

Google returns zero results for "ipv5.conf".

I guess it shows what a neophyte in networking I am that I don't know whether there's an IPv5.

Regards
Adam

PS Thanks to all for the suggestions for google search strings, but I did that already and was asking here to confirm it before I dive in and reboot my server with potentially dodgey config.