Re: Lenny backports installation of one package only

Russell Gadd wrote:
> Thanks Bob. I'm having some trouble with parts of your response as follows:
>

> > What is in your /etc/apt/preferences file?
> I don't have such a file in /etc/apt

Okay.  It was possible that you did and the contents there would
affect what was offered for installation.

> > What is the relative versions shown here:
> >  $ apt-cache policy gnucash
>
> # apt-cache policy gnucash
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 2.2.6-2
>   Candidate: 2.2.6-2

You have 2.2.6-2 and 2.2.6-2 (same version) is the available candidate.

>   Version table:
>      2.2.9-7~bpo50+1 0
>           1 http://backports.debian.org lenny-backports/main Packages
>  *** 2.2.6-2 0
>         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That looks okay to me.  It doesn't seem like it should be offering to
upgrade gnucash from backports based upon the above.

> > Because backports is set up with a repository pinning of
> > "NotAutomatic: yes" in the Release file it shouldn't be wanting to
> > upgrade your existing packages automatically.  Here is a reference.
>
> What reference?

This reference.  The reference I included.

  http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2

Here are the contents of that URL:

  http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2

  Get packages upgraded from backports.debian.org (Recommended!)

   Normally packages won't get upgraded automatically from
   backports.debian.org (due to the NotAutomatic flag). To get packages
   that you have installed from backports automatically updated you
   have to have add a pinning, either to /etc/apt/preferences:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=lenny-backports
    Pin-Priority: 200

   This setting is recommended Without this setting you don't get
   security updates

I normally set up my /etc/apt/preferences as described there.  Those
three lines in /etc/apt/preferences:

  Package: *
  Pin: release a=lenny-backports
  Pin-Priority: 200

> > But if gnucash is newer than Lenny but older than backports then it
> > will fall into the case where it will want to upgrade to the newer
> > version in backports.
> >
> > Sorry don't understand this.

The apt-cache policy shows gnucash to be the same version as what is
in Lenny.  So my comment about /if/ it is newer than Lenny does not
apply.

I would try first one then the other:

1. Use Roman Khomasuridze's suggestion:
  > if you want to upgrade only iceweasel, then run
  >   apt-get install iceweasel/lenny-backports
  > by this, apt will try to install iceweasel from backports but will try to
  > match its dependencies from lenny. it worked for me...

2. Install the /etc/apt/preferences file as recommended.  That will
   change the pinning rules.

Bob