Re: finding the right .iso for USB install of Squeeze

 On 13/09/10 08:04, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Javier Barroso wrote:
>> Did you try to download Squeeze alpha1 iso cd from
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/index.en.html  ? There are
>> links to the correct ftp site:
>> For i386 for example:
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_alpha1/i386/iso-cd/
>>
> yes, but...
>
> 1. looks like these have been updated since my inquiry (when I
> downloaded things, vmlinuz and initrd in the /hd-media directory were
> dated 7/23, today they're dated 9/10 - so they look consistent with
> the iso images I downloaded), but...
>
> 2. looks like I may have uncovered a but in the USB installer, after
> booting itself and starting up, it goes and looks for a .iso image -
> BUT it looks on the hard drives, not the USB stick - and, of course,
> doesn't find it
>
> Anybody understand the installer well enough to tell me how to tell it
> to look on the USB stick (which seems to be /dev/sdc1 and mounted as
> /hd-media).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miles

You shouldn't need to tell the installer anything - it's a little
confusing because it "appears" to not find the iso file on the usb key.
Bear with it, the installer does find it eventually - it seems to check
drive devices before cycling back through the drive list checking
partitions on the devices.

Did the install actually fail to find the iso?  If you copy the iso to
the hard drive will the installer find it then??

Cheers