Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 03:38:04PM -0400, brownh wrote:
> Sorry that I didn't make myself clear. I've got two situations: a) my
> present sitution in which I communicate between hosts on my local LAN,
> b) a future situation (to which I'd like to arrive in a day or so) of
> taking a laptop into the field and using ssh to access a home-base
> host on the LAN.
>
> In the former case, to ssh one I only need a user account and the
> user's password; the the latter case, I have to access the LAN from an
> internet server, and this requires both a user account, its password,
> and its domain, so that the server knows where to find the LAN on
> which the server host is located. I belabor this a bit lest I'm
> misunderstanding or missing something fundamental.
>
> For example, my routing table on both machines has the router as their
> gateway. Presently my /etc/revolv.conf files simply point to my
> router-modem-hub as nameserver. This router-hub-modem has SSH service
> enabled.

I'm afraid I've forgotten - or didn't read - earlier details.  Have you
got a public IP address?  Can you ping the domain name from outside your
network - from an Internet cafe or a friend's machine?  Have you set up
a web server?  Can you access that from outside?  Does your IP address
point to your ISP's server or to yours?

Cheers,
David