Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"

David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:

> Have you got /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny configured to allow
> access from outside your local network?

David, good question. I had understood /etc/hosts.allow only as a way
to define a selection, and so left it empty for the server, for it
should allow any host to access.

However, I now discover that I have ALL: LOCAL on the client
machine. No idea why I put it there. I fear that this might in fact
prevent the kind of non-local ssh connections that I'm having
difficulties with. Is that so?

Haines