Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"

Claudius, thank you for troubling with my problem.

The problem, again: I have no trouble logging a client host
(brownh@teufel) [you are not old enough to remember Fritz and Rainer]
with a server host (haines@engels) over the LAN, but not over the
Internet, the client user account (brownh@historicalMaterialism.info)
to client user account (haines@historicalMaterialism.info)

  $ ssh -vv haines@historicalMaterialism.info

	debug1: Next authentication method: password
	engels@historicalmaterialism.info's password:
	debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
	debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
	Permission denied, please try again.

I don't know if this means a file permission problem or if the
password was unacceptable. The password I provided was definitely that
of the account (haines) on the client machine (engels).

Here is ~/.ssh/ssh_config on client:

  ForwardAgent yes
  X11Forwarding yes

I did not edit the ssh_config files on client or server, and what
follows are the defaults.

Here is /etc/ssd/sshd_config file, via ssh, from server (I prune
commented lines):

  # Package generated configuration file
  Port 22
  Protocol 2
  HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
  HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
  UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

  KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
  ServerKeyBits 768

  SyslogFacility AUTH
  LogLevel INFO

  LoginGraceTime 120
  PermitRootLogin yes
  StrictModes yes

  RSAAuthentication yes
  PubkeyAuthentication yes

  IgnoreRhosts yes
  RhostsRSAAuthentication no
  HostbasedAuthentication no

  PermitEmptyPasswords no

  ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

  X11Forwarding yes
  X11DisplayOffset 10
  PrintMotd no
  PrintLastLog yes
  TCPKeepAlive yes

  AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

  Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

  UsePAM yes

Here is /etc/ssh/sshd_config on client:

[...]

Haines