Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"

David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:

> That ALL: LOCAL entry is there by default.  I don't know much about
> this myself, but

That would explain its presence on my lenny box, but my newly
installed sqeeze box has nothing uncommented in that file. So I guess
squeeze changed the default.

>From the manual, ALL:LOCAL in hosts.allow would admit connections with
local user accounts, and I get the sense that it overrides the default
ALL:ALL, which would exclude access from hosts not on the LOCAL LAN. I
don't expect to use this box as a server for hosts outside my LAN.

However, I don't see this as being relevant to my problem, for it is
not my (client) lenny machine that has a problem, but when lenny tries
to gain ssh access to the server, squeeze, and for this server, the
hosts.allow file is empty and so is open to the world.

I did comment the ALL:LOCAL on the lenny box, and tried to access it
by ssh from the squeeze box (the opposite direction to that I raised
in my question), but permission denied here as well.

So my problem is broader than just the configuration of one box. Just
to be sure, a sanity check: from the account
brownh@historicalMaterialism.info on one box I am trying to ssh to the
account haines@historicalMaterialism.info, on a different box on the
LAN. I can ssh from one user account to another on the LAN, but can't
ssh between them via my provider's server by appending the domain name
to the user account name:

   $ ssh haines@historicalmaterialism.info

Haines