Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:54:07 -0600
Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was disappointed that Silverlight didn't take off. The reason being,
> the GNU/Linux community really doesn't have a solid Flash alternative.
> Yeah there's Gnash and others, but they don't play well with a lot of
> the Flash-based sites. Browsing _sucked_ in GNU/Linux for years
> because of this.
>
> So, with Miguel and Mono, I was eager to see a solid Silverlight
> alternative in Moonlight. Mono was staying very up-to-date with
> the .NET ABI, and there is so much momentum behind Mono, it was hard
> to see Moonlight as failing.

Silverlight was always a lot better than flash on windows, I really
haven’t found much silverlight stuff to try in moonlight, But I havent
really had a lot of luck with the bits i have ran into, maybe due to
lack of effort in my part.

> Then HTML5 started hitting the web, and well, even Microsoft started
> abandoning Silverlight for HTML5 with IE.

I highly doubt Silverlight, .Net, and thus by extension moonlight and
mono will die, for example MS's new phone OS is pretty much all
Silverlight and .Net

> I still think that because of Silverlight, the GNU/Linux community
> would have had a much better browsing experience through Moonlight
> and Mono than we currently have with Flash.

Lightspark [1] looks like it might be a nice (hardware accelerated) OSS
flash plugin that uses gnash as a fallback for older stuff.

I haven’t tried it myself, due to having spent so much time getting the
32bit flash plug-in finally working fully. (Oh, and it looks like
lightspark wants to install pulseaudio, It can go shove that idea
somewhere uncomfortable, I just finished fixing sound after the last
time I tried to use PA!)

> But with HTML5 here and now a solid reality, just not wide-spread
> adoption, and now with hardware acceleration hitting the GNU/Linux
> browsers (Firefox/Iceweasel 4 and Chrome/Chromium 7), we _finally_
> have browsers and browsing experiences that DON'T SUCK.

I am looking forward to when the later Chrome 7 builds hit linux in a
few weeks, we should have fully working <canvus> and hopefully 2D
acceleration (At the moment, turning it all on results in the browser
just outputting a black screen inside the ui), WebGL is already
working (with command line switches).

[1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/lightspark

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97