Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On 9/8/2010 3:07 PM, Angus Hedger wrote:
> Flash might be one of the "evils" of the web, but it better than
> moonlight as most silverlight stuff wont work in moonlight 2.2 where
> as flash v10.1 works with pretty much everything (ignoring the total
> lack of a good 64bit plug-in and the instability of nsplugins!), just
> about.

I was disappointed that Silverlight didn't take off. The reason being,
the GNU/Linux community really doesn't have a solid Flash alternative.
Yeah there's Gnash and others, but they don't play well with a lot of
the Flash-based sites. Browsing _sucked_ in GNU/Linux for years because
of this.

So, with Miguel and Mono, I was eager to see a solid Silverlight
alternative in Moonlight. Mono was staying very up-to-date with the .NET
ABI, and there is so much momentum behind Mono, it was hard to see
Moonlight as failing.

Then HTML5 started hitting the web, and well, even Microsoft started
abandoning Silverlight for HTML5 with IE.

I still think that because of Silverlight, the GNU/Linux community would
have had a much better browsing experience through Moonlight and Mono
than we currently have with Flash.

But with HTML5 here and now a solid reality, just not wide-spread
adoption, and now with hardware acceleration hitting the GNU/Linux
browsers (Firefox/Iceweasel 4 and Chrome/Chromium 7), we _finally_ have
browsers and browsing experiences that DON'T SUCK.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O