Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On 09/08/2010 02:17 PM, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
B. Alexander wrote:
I'm just wondering, since firefox/iceweasel seems to be getting
unusable. I have a 2.2GHz C2D box with an nvidia card at home, and a
3.0GHz C2D with a (lame) ATI card at work. I find that firefox (or
xulrunner-stub) have memory leaks, and after a couple of days, it eats
up a significant amount (10-30%) of memory. The work box has 3GB and
the home box has 4GB. It also eats up a significant amount of CPU.

This morning, after idling all weekend, iceweasel on my work system
was chewing up between 70 and 100% of my cpus, and scrolling pages
were hesitating for several seconds.

So what do others use?
--b

google chrome on Lenny on a Acer Aspire Laptop:

ii google-chrome-stable 6.0.472.55-r58392 The web browser from Google

Hugo

I'll be looking at the the version 6 chromium-browser when it shows up in testing. (The version 5 browser was removed today.) I'm especially interested in seeing what they're doing for flash support. I understand that it's to be integrated into the browser. (Well, the Google version, anyway.) I wonder how that's going to work.

I use Iceweasel and have just got used to it. It's really not a bad browser for me. I use the gnash plugin, noscript and adblock from the Debian repositories, and the browser is all right -- until I play too many movies or enable Java temporarily for an online crossword puzzle. At that point the laptop's CPU temp reading jumps about 20 C. Sometimes I have to kill the browser and related processes.

I don't mind closing the browser after a couple of hours of use, so the issues probably don't hit me as hard as they do the folks who are averse to doing that.

Several people in this thread mentioned links2. Wow! That is a slick browser! I'm almost stubborn enough to use it as my default. We'll see how it works out. It certainly works better on my system than w3m with w3m-img. I wasn't having much luck seeing images with that puppy.