Re: No icons, help.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:02:40 -0400
Doug <xxx> wrote:
> I ordered and received the Debian LXDE version, and am presently
> running the LIVE version, just to get a feel for things.  I will
> have to install the program because I'm taking a Linux/Unix course
> at the local community college, and the instructor wants to use
> Debian.  Most of the time the class will apparently be using a CLI.
> However, in the meantime, on my own time, I would like to be able to
> use the program for other things.

So, you're using LXDE, so openBox for the WM and PCManFM for the file
manager / desktop background manager. Its sad that I know this, for
some reason (I've never used LXDE out of anything but curiosity.)

> How does one put icons on the desktop???  And having downloaded
> Firefox (I think)

Under Debian, Firefox is rebranded to be 'totally FOSS' (*) as
Iceweasel.

> how do I get it someplace I can use it?  I will also download
> Thunderbird

Which is in the repos as 'icedove', again for 'total FOSS-ness'.

> when I figure all this out. But  first, the desktop is
> just wasted space if I can't put program icons on it.

I disagree with that. I have /no/ icons on my desktop. its purely there
as a courtesy -- even on Windows!

The fastest way (to get to your question) is to quickly learn the
Desktop file spec. Desktop icons are just text files.

They generally look like this...

- --8<--
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=My App
Exec=myapp
icon=myicon
- --8<--

> BTW, I ordered the CD because I could not make head nor tail of
> the Jigdo system. Somebody up at Debian HQ should look into that.
> If all the other distros I've tried can send zipped .iso files,
> I see no reason that Debian can't do likewise.

IIRC (IANAE) it was a debian political move to not zip the isos that
boiled down to FOSS-ness alá mp3.

Go look at Jigdo's documentation... There's a reasonable HOWTO if you
google around... I found > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-Jigdo/ < in a
matter of... 30 seconds?

I personally actually use bitTorrent and get the NetInst iso. 50MB is
just fine for me, and unless there's a reason (i.e. unsupported network
hardware in the base kernel, firmware needed) you should be fine using
the netinst ISO. It gives you a reasonable starting place that will
pull off mirrors for you.

> Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers, and thanx for your patience
> with an old-time newbie.  --doug

(*) I disagree with the idea that because something has a copyright on
it that it barrs something from being 'FOSS'. As an artist, programmer
and all around compu-jack-of-all-trades, I think that its perfectly
legitimate to have a logo which is not in the total open source. But
thats just me... and I'm one of the freaks that wants CC for code.

- --
Morgan Gangwere
Key ID A8B6F243, available from MIT.
BOFH excuse #161: