Re: No icons, help.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:02:40 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> I'm brand new to Debian, but not to Linux, altho I still consider
> myself pretty much a newbie after probably 12 years or so(!)
> (Slackware, RedHat, SuSE, PCLinuxOs, and a quick look at Ubuntu,
> Kubuntu, and Puppy)  For general use recently I've been using PcLOs,
> (KDE 4.4.5) and of course, Windows.
>
> I ordered and received the Debian LXDE version, and am presently
> running the LIVE version, just to get a feel for things.  I will
> have to install the program because I'm taking a Linux/Unix course
> at the local community college, and the instructor wants to use
> Debian.  Most of the time the class will apparently be using a CLI.
> However, in the meantime, on my own time, I would like to be able to
> use the program for other things.
>
> How does one put icons on the desktop???  And having downloaded

I don't really know, since I don't use desktop icons, but I can't
imagine that it's any different in Debian than in any other distro.  It
all depends, I assume, on the desktop environment.

> Firefox (I think) how do I get it someplace I can use it?  I
> will also download Thunderbird, when I figure all this out. But
> first, the desktop is just wasted space if I can't put program
> icons on it.

In Debian, and all distros that use package management, you don't
generally 'download' applications.  You have your favorite package
management software install them for you.  In Debian, this would be
aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, etc.  Learning their use is one of the key
skills you'll need to run Debian.

> BTW, I ordered the CD because I could not make head nor tail of
> the Jigdo system. Somebody up at Debian HQ should look into that.
> If all the other distros I've tried can send zipped .iso files,
> I see no reason that Debian can't do likewise.

Not sure what you mean by 'zipped .iso files', but Debian certainly
offers downloadable iso images:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/

If you want a live version of Debian, see here:

http://live.debian.net/

Celejar